Saturday, August 8, 2015

summer {beach} bucket list


I have such a twisted relationship with summer. I revel in the abundance of fruits and vegetables, day trips along the coast taking in deep breaths of warm salt air, and indulging in seasonal treats like lobster rolls. On the flip-side I wilt in the heat and become anxious and cranky, not to mention my curly hair goes crazy. And now here we are in August -- already! -- and I don't want summer to end.

Not until  ...
I've been to the beach at least one more time
Had at least one more lobster roll
Paddled along on a kayak
Savored a few more pieces of salt water taffy

I do know this, summer is especially beautiful along coastal New England. This post includes some favorite scenic and foodie snapshots, via my Instagram page, along with quick notes about top spots visited so far this season. Images aren't watermarked so please cite if sharing.

Block Island, Rhode Island
Block Island Tourism Council
Beautiful unspoiled destination. Arrive by ferry and leave your car and troubles on the mainland. Consider a Green Diamond Taxi Tour and ask for Polly. Rent a bike. Have a lobster roll at the Surf Hotel, chowder at the Mohegan Cafe, and an oatmeal raisin cookie at Aldo's. Stop by Lazy Fish to browse cool furnishings and decor books. Many inns have shared bathrooms so if that's not for you, be sure to inquire! My sisters and I stayed at the Gables Inn and the room was sweet and made us feel like we were at someone's grandmother's home, in a good way.

No TV, no problem? Keep the windows open to listen to music from the nearby restaurant.
Love hydrangeas? This is the place for you.
Served hot or cold, love a New England lobster roll
View from the ferry
At Island Bound Bookstore
Get around by bike, foot, taxi
Pathway behind the Blue Dory Inn
Wickford, Rhode Island
Historic Wickford Village
Makes for a nice day trip. Best part of our day was sitting by the water and watching boats and ducks. Nice assortment of shops (including antiques) and cafes.

New favorite: coffee oreo from Inside Scoop
The Porch
Westport, Massachusetts
FarmCoast New England
Beautiful area of Southeastern Massachusetts. Westport's beaches have soft sand, dunes, nice waves, and there's always a sailboat in the distance making any outing picturesque. Stop by Handy Hill Creamery after the beach for the best onion rings ever.




Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce
 
If you don't live on the East Coast, you might not realize that Cape Cod isn't a town but actually a hook-shaped peninsula. Its 15 main towns encompass quaint villages, seafood shacks, lighthouses, ponds and bay and ocean beaches. Generally a visit to Cape Cod means dotting around from town to town and finding which places appeal to you most. Below is where we spent time during a recent overnight stay. Search: Cape Cod at this blog for similar posts noting shops and more.

Eastham 
Sweet outbuilding at the Blue Dolphin Inn, Eastham. Tidy motel that can accommodate a 1-night stay.
Orleans
Nauset Beach in Orleans

Provincetown
The Mayflower Restaurant, Provincetown
All hail the Lobster Club!

Chatham

School of barley pops at Chatham Candy Manor
Artist Steve Lyons in his gallery/studio/shop
South Yarmouth
Cape Cod Salt Water Taffy, South Yarmouth
If you're ever planning a trip to this area, there's so much to do and see.

Here's to a great rest of the summer to all!

xo
elyse




7 comments:

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

Summer is my favorite season. Bakers Beach in Westport, Ma is my happy place. You have an open invitation anytime!!

Unknown said...

Elyse,

I know, I haven't been posting much this summer either. It's had to live life and have time to journal your life. Great job on this post! I love all the places that you mentioned and I see a few I haven't been to yet, like Block Island. I was just looking at the Ferry information today. Looks like a perfect visit.

Karen

debi said...

It looks like you've had a fun summer so far. I agree with you about the heat though!

Theresa said...

LOVE your pics! It's on my bucket list to come up there:) Perhaps next Summer! Have a blessed and beautiful Sunday dear Elyse, HUGS!

Unknown said...

You have just walked me through my childhood in New England and on the beaches of Cape Cod 😊 Thank You <3

Unknown said...

Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

windows blinds suppliers in india